Persons living outside the U.S.

A person living outside the U.S. may apply for a Religious visa at the U.S. consulate or embassy in their home country if:

  • The person is a member of a religious denomination having a bonafide nonprofit religious organization in the U.S.  at least two years before filing the petition
  • The person is coming to work in the U.S. as a religious worker
  • The person is employed by:
    • A non-profit religious organization in the U.S.;
    • A Religious Organzition that is authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption; or
    • A non-profit organization which is affiliated with a religious denomination in the U.S.
  • The person intends to work with the religious organization at least 20 hours a week

Persons living inside the U.S.

A person living in the U.S. may apply for a religious visa with USCIS. The qualifying factors are the same as one living outside the U.S., but the filing process differs.

Once the petition is approved and the R visa holder has worked with the religious organization for at least two years, they may file for a green card.

This category extends the immigration benefits to one’s qualifying family members.

Let us walk your immigration journey with you.
Contact our experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the process.